There are few things in life more empowering than the decision to seek help for an addiction and realize you do have the power to take control over your life back.
It’s a tough journey, no doubt, but one that only gets better as you go.
With the ocean breeze and sunshine soothing the soul, drug rehab facilities in Florida make those arduous early days a bit more pleasant and set you up for long-term success.
What Are the Common Signs and Symptoms of Addiction?
Addiction may feel like it pops up unannounced overnight like your in-laws but, truth be told, there are warning signs and symptoms that emerge and metastasize.
Our natural inclination is sometimes to excuse these signs because no one wants to suspect the worst of their family member or friend; that they’re an addict. They’re just stressed, they’re actually in control of their usage, they’re not hurting anyone, they’re always a little moody, etc. It’s understandable but it’s also enabling.
In order to get your loved one the help they need to overcome addiction, you must be on the lookout for these symptoms and act when you know they’ve reached a tipping point so to speak.
The signs of substance abuse are a mixed bag between behavioral and physical and can include:
- Being overly secretive and lying
- Unable to quit despite efforts to do so
- Losing interest in events or activities they once enjoyed so they can use
- Insomnia or, conversely, sleeping too much
- Financial issues and unpredictability related to buying drugs or alcohol
- Borrowing or stealing to pay for substances
- School, work and/or family life and obligations are all suffering
- Considerable changes in weight, up or down
- Spending a disproportionate amount of time using substances, thinking about them, acquiring them and recovering from their effects
- Developing tolerance and taking increasingly larger doses to get the same effect as before
- Mood swings and irritability
- Continuing to use despite clear negative ramifications
- Bloodshot eyes
- Engaging in risky behavior, i.e., driving under the influence
- Shifting to a different group of friends who use as well
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you stop using
- Body odor, wearing dirty clothes, hair unkempt, etc. a general lack of care for personal hygiene
A person may not experience everything listed but someone who’s addicted will certainly exhibit some of them. It’s critical to pay attention and take action before things spiral fully out of control.
What that action will look like is different for everyone. A good place to start is getting educated on addiction yourself and talking to experts on the next steps, you can even reach out to us at Principles Recovery Center to learn more and get advice.
Why Principles Should Be Your Drug Rehab Facility in Florida
There ain’t much better than the Florida coast.
Over 8,000 miles of shoreline – 8,436 to be exact – a relaxed environment and well over 200 sunny days (hence our nickname; The Sunshine State) makes Florida a pretty enviable place to be.
We get it, it’s why we’re based here and it’s part of how we started.
At Principles Recovery Center, we’ve been treating substance abuse for over 30 years and our combined experience means we’ve done just about everything in that time.
The beauty of Principles, aside from the location, is that you can take your entire recovery journey with us which creates an unrivaled sense of comfort and trust. You’ll be able to transition smoothly from inpatient care to outpatient rehab and once you’ve wrapped up treatment we’ll help you with aftercare options as well as a lively alumni program that helps you maintain connections with us and those you’ve met in rehab.
Give us a call to discover more about why Principles is the right place for you or a loved one.